Established 1896 – more than 100 years of continuous operation
A/S Rosenberg Mekaniske was founded in 1896 to service local industry in ship repair, foundry, equipment and ship building. The yard at Buøy, the company’s current location, was established in 1915 with a large assembly hall and construction of a dry dock. By 1920, Rosenberg had become the most modern and advanced shipyard in Norway. During the recession in the twenties and thirties commissioning of new ships stopped almost completely, and the main activity was ship repair and maintenance.
Following the recession in 1945, Rosenberg was acquired by ship owner Sigval Bergesen and quickly established a solid reputation as a major builder of large tankships with the world’s then-largest tanker being delivered in 1951. A dry dock capable of handling ships up to 65,000 tonnes was completed in 1959.
Kværner acquired the ship yard in 1970. Kværner’s patent for tankers for freight of liquid natural gas was the basis for the construction of a series of large LNG tankers. Kværner Rosenberg started its current commitment to the offshore industry with the construction of the Statfjord B deck in 1979.
Following Statfjord B, Rosenberg was involved with many of the giant installations of the Norwegian Continental Shelf (NCS). The company was at the forefront of the industry, and the successful completion of projects such as Jotun FPSO and Åsgard B demonstrated their capability to handle large and complex projects.
In 2004 AkerKværner divested of Rosenberg to a group of local investors, and in 2007 the company was acquired by Bergen Group, listing on the Oslo Stock Exchange in 2008. Over these years, Rosenberg once more established itself as an important contributor to the development of the Norwegian oil and gas industry through execution of EPCI and fabrication contracts.
In February 2013, Bergen Group Rosenberg AS was acquired by WorleyParsons, a leading provider of project delivery and consulting services to the resources & energy sectors and complex process industries. The company changed its name to Rosenberg WorleyParsons AS.
Today, Rosenberg WorleyParsons is the result of a lasting ability to adapt to changing market circumstances. The facilities have undergone continuous improvement with focus on efficiency and quality and the organization is growing in line with an increase in demand for its services.
Rosenberg WorleyParsons has the ability and flexibility to undertake a wide variety of projects from simple, small scale fabrication to delivery of large and complex offshore installations. With the support of the wider WorleyParsons family, Rosenberg WorleyParsons is well positioned to continue to play an important role on the NCS and beyond.