This project was developed for a phase 1 capacity of 45Mtpa and including the following packages:
- Mine site ore handling infrastructure comprising a mine truck dump pocket, crushing plant, stockpile areas, train load-out facility and all interconnecting conveyors, transfers and associated infrastructure.
- Marine facilities to enable export of 45Mtpa of iron ore through Port Hedland, comprising conveyor trestles traversing 1,400m over complex ground conditions, a 90m approach jetty, two dolphin berths to accommodate vessels up to 270,000dwt and a shiploader support structure. The expansion of the ship maneuvering area, departure area and berthing basin included some 4.5 million m3 of dredged silt and sandstone used in strategic reclamation of the stockyard area. Work included full delivery of all marine structures, shiploading equipment, dredging, stockyard areas and rail interfaces.
- Earthworks construction of the rail and port materials handling facilities at Anderson Point and Harriet Point, Port Hedland is currently ongoing.
- A rail connection of 256km connecting the mine to the port including layout selection, all civil and drainage works, passing loops and terminals.
- Design and procurement of all rolling stock for the contract via Chinese fabricators.
Key results included delivery of the $2.5B of infrastructure in the fastest schedule achieved in the Pilbara iron ore industry, including established players such as Rio Tinto and BHP;
Innovative selection applied to supply chain management to achieve optimum balance to infrastructure and operational costs.